win/won <the> first prize

• lingobingo

English - England
    It doesn’t work like that! Both are just phrases with no subject and no context — the only difference being that one is in the present tense and one in the past tense. Please give us a full sentence to explain what this is meant to be about. :)

reno33

English - USA
    I agree with lingobingo but I'll answer your question in another way.

They (your phrases) are both correct.....and they are both incorrect......it totally depends on the context within which they're found.

Afu

Japanese
    Oops, I made a mistake. I thought I used a same tense in both win.
    Ok let me give you full sentences.

I won the first prize in the concert.
    I won first prize in the concert.
    Which is correct or could both be correct?

Afu

Japanese
    Go with "first prize". "The first prize" is not wrong, but less common.
    I see. It’s so difficult for me to use articles correctly.

Is this sentence correct? I thought I used a same tense in both wins which is the sentence I used up above.

newname

Vietnamese
    No. They’re not the same. First prize is the top prize, the gold medal for example. The first prize can be any, it just happens to be given out first.

Afu

Japanese
    No. They’re not the same. First prize is the top prize, the gold medal for example. The first prize can be any, it just happens to be given out first.
    could you give me the example for this sentence? it just happens to be given out first.

heypresto

English - England
    They will almost certainly mean the same thing.

It is very unlikely to mean 'the first (of several) prizes to be handed out'. Imagine if they gave out three prizes in 'reverse order', and gave the third prize out first, the second prize second and the first (top) prize third. You'd still call it the first prize, even if it was physically handed out last.

Having said that, I agree with SwissPete in post #5. Go with 'first prize'.

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    The first prize” can be used in the normal way, e.g. I’m pleased to present the first prize to… / If you’re lucky enough to win the first prize…

But in addition, in some circumstances the top prize in a competition or contest (not concert!) is referred to simply as “first prize” – and the same applies to second prize, third prize, etc. In the same way, the gold, silver and bronze medals awarded in sports events are often referred to (especially in news reports) simply by the name of the metal.

Wow! I can’t believe it. I won first prize!​
    And first prize goes to … (this is something of an idiom)
    The Netherlands took gold in both the Ladies’ and the Men’s Team Pursuit.​

Afu

Japanese
    The first prize” can be used in the normal way, e.g. I’m pleased to present the first prize to… / If you’re lucky enough to win the first prize…

But in addition, in some circumstances the top prize in a competition or contest (not concert!) is referred to simply as “first prize” – and the same applies to second prize, third prize, etc. In the same way, the gold, silver and bronze medals awarded in sports events are often referred to (especially in news reports) simply by the name of the metal.

They will almost certainly mean the same thing.

It is very unlikely to mean 'the first (of several) prizes to be handed out'. Imagine if they gave out three prizes in 'reverse order', and gave the third prize out first, the second prize second and the first (top) prize third. You'd still call it the first prize, even if it was physically handed out last.

Having said that, I agree with SwissPete in post #5. Go with 'first prize'.
    I completely understand. Thank you so much for your very clear answer.

Afu

Japanese

I got it. Thank you for your additional answer which helps me understand better.

< Previous | Next >