Wind - having been unexpectedly winded

michelmontescuba

Spanish
I am reading "The Silkworm" by J. K. Rowling and I stumbled upon the verb "winded".
Here,s the context:

"You,ve got a lot of aptitude for the job," said Strike, "but you,re getting married to someone who hates you doing it."
"Robin opened her mouth and closed it again. A sensation if having been unexpectedly winded had robbed her of the power of speech."
----------------------------------
I read in the Wiktionary that it means: to cause (someone) to become breathless, often by a blow to the abdomen.
I also found out it is an adjective: being out of breath, short of breath, breathing laboriously etc.
How common is this word in day to day conversation? Or is it just literary?
Thanks in advance

[Se ha editado el título de este hilo para que incluya una mayor porción de la frase original (en vez de una sola palabra). Por favor hágalo así usted también en el futuro y absténgase de poner títulos con una sola palabra o demasiado escuetos. De paso, lea nuestras guías. Lauranazario - moderadora]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • gengo

American English
    Or if, for example, I have just run up a flight of stairs and need to talk to someone, I might say, "Wait a second, I'm winded."

It is certainly in use in modern English, but less common than to be out of breath, etc. In my above example, I might also say, "Let me catch my breath," which implies that I am winded.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    In the sense that Rowling is using it in your example, a sudden gut punch, it is not in common US-E use.

gengo

American English
    In the sense that Rowling is using it in your example, a sudden gut punch, it is not in common US-E use.
    That usage is certainly more literary than colloquial, but it doesn't sound at all British to my ear, and sounds perfectly natural to me. That said, you are very right to point out that this usage is a bit different from the more usual meaning referred to by Mr. Dent and me.

< Previous | Next >