window

< Previous | Next >

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
Hi everybody,

Suppose you are a teacher and on a particular day you've got 5 classes, but they don't follow immediately one after another, so you've got some free time between the classes. In my language we informally call this free time as a 'wondow', even as a 'whole'. Do you have a specific word covering the meaning we imply with these two Bulgarian words?
Thank you

• mally pense

England, UK English
    You can use "window" exactly the same way in English. For example "I have a window in my schedule at 11am, I can see you then".

For "hole", I would use "gap", .e.g. "I've a gap in my schedule at 11".

nikkieli

Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you, Mally Pense, I thought about 'gap', but wasn't sure; as for my 'whole' I definitely was thinking about 'hole', of course.

Packard

USA, English
    I would not expect to see "window" used in that context in AE, at least in the east coast of the USA.

I would expect to hear "break", "open time", "free time", etc., but not "window".

We do use the word "window" to refer to a time frame in this sense: The window of opportunity is just 3 short days, after that you will have missed out.

The meaning is similar, but I would not expect to see it used as you have in your example.

Lis48

English - British
    In BE, lessons where you are not teaching are simply called "frees" short for "free period."
    "I´ll telephone the travel agency today in my free."
    "I´ve got two frees on Friday so will complete the report then."
    "I lost my free today because I had to cover for another teacher."

mally pense

England, UK English
    It tends to be used this way in "business-speak" here, not so much in 'normal' life :)

Out of your examples, similarly I would not expect to hear "open time" used in this way in British English. The others I can imagine being used.

Packard

USA, English
    In BE, lessons where you are not teaching are simply called "frees" short for "free period."
    We used "free period" when I was in school too (USA) as a student. I don't know what the teachers used for that however.

mally pense

England, UK English
    That's very specific to teaching/schools etc, not really elsewhere as far as I'm aware. Worth noting obviously.

mally pense

England, UK English
    But the original question specifically referred to a teacher so presumably what the poster was asking for!
    Not necessarily. The original question supposed that one was a teacher, which I took to be an example, not a specific context for the question, though it could have been. However I would have thought that the two Bulgarian words (for window and hole) were more generic in context than the supposed example.

< Previous | Next >