windows ventilation - on/in vent

< Previous | Next >

MedaBeda

Czech
Hello,

When you leave your windows at home only slightly opened, so that the fresh air can flow inside, how would you call it?

Could I say: When I go on holidays, I leave my windows on vent? in vent?

And when you leave them a bit more opened and the air goes inside more because the windows are opened at the top (tilting inside the flat/house) but still in the frame at the bottom - how would you call it?

I left my windows on/in the upper vent?

Thank you

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "On vent" or "in vent" does not sound a natural term to use in English. I cannot think of a short way of saying this, but there is nothing wrong with saying "I leave my windows open a little to vent the house". If the windows have separate vents, then you can say you "leave the vents open".

It sounds like the windows you are describing are "tilt and turn". You could say that you leave them "tilted open", which I think would be understood by people even if they aren't familiar with the type of window. You could also say something like "open at the top", but since there is no indication of the type of window, the reader may think of one of these:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Leaving something "on vent" or "in vent" imply that "vent" is one of the settings of the device. Stoves, air conditioners, blenders and other electrical devices often have settings, and you can put them, set them or leave them "on" a setting. Windows don't have settings, so this word pattern is not used for windows.

As Uncle Jack points out, the verb "vent" applies to the room (or the whole house), not the window.

I would probably say something like:
    - leave one window slightly open
    - leave one window open, just a little bit
    - leave one window open a crack
    - leave one window open a little at the top
    - leave one window open a little at the top and bottom

london calling

UK English
    I have windows like the ones you can see here (marvin.com, tilt and turn windows) throughout my home here in Italy. To be honest I just say that I leave the windows/french doors slightly open to let the fresh air in.

MedaBeda

Czech
    I have windows like the ones you can see here (marvin.com, tilt and turn windows) throughout my home here in Italy. To be honest I just say that I leave the windows/french doors slightly open to let the fresh air in.
    yep, I have the same ones London Calling. Slightly open is a good expression but not for the 45degree position of the lever. The thing is that with my windows, when I move the lever to 45 degrees, the air can go into the room because the window gets "unstuck from the frame" /I am not sure if that is appropriate expression/ and there is a crack around the window then. We have an expression for it in my language, but dont know how too say that in English.

MedaBeda

Czech
    is there any expression for when I leave these handles to 45degrees so that some air can go into the room??

< Previous | Next >