Wink down?

Lia-Wilde

Spanish-Spain
Hi,
I am having trouble with the meaning of "wink down" I have never heard of such a verb and apparently neither has the internet.

"A poster of carlos gardel winks down from the wall."

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello L-W, the poster is a picture of Carlos Gardel, and in the picture his cheerful expression could be interpreted as "winking", or he could actually be winking. The poster is up on the wall, probably at or above eye level. So in fact it is not the poster winking, that is the expression of the person in the poster. And he appears to be looking down at the viewer of the poster.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Lia-Wilde. :)

It is a transferred reference.

Carlos Gardel seems to be winking, so the author is describing the poster as 'winking.'
    'Winks down' means that Carlos Gardel (or his picture) is winking at someone lower than he is.

Does that help?

Note: We ask you to name the source of every quotation. Where did you see this? ;)

Cross-posted. :)

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It should mean that in the poster, Carlos Gardel is winking. I haven't heard of winking used like this, but I have encountered other verbs used this way. It's not uncommon for people in photos and paintings to be talked about as though they are performing some action in real life: smiling, for example, or glaring or simpering.

(Cross-posted with EM and Cagey.)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "A poster of Carlos Gardel winks down from the wall." = There is a picture poster of Carlos Gardel on the wall; the picture shows Carlos Gardel winking; the picture is high up on the wall, so that the wink comes down to the observer.

< Previous | Next >