wintersweet or Japanese allspice

< Previous | Next >
  • owlman5

English-US
    I've never heard either name before, Sun, but I'm not a gardener. People who know a lot about ornamental plants may very well be familiar with one or both names.

Sun14

Chinese
    I've never heard either name before, Sun, but I'm not a gardener. People who know a lot about ornamental plants may very well be familiar with one or both names.
    It is very popular in China which symbolize the tenacity. I will blossom proudly in the future.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Just FYI:

1)I once ask my language adviser (A female AE speaker), she's in New York City. She told me she'd never heard of or seen this kind of flowers in New York.
    2)Here's a link that might be helpful. Since Daily Mail is a UK website, I guess gardeners in the UK might tell us more. Perhaps HG will come and share us her story. :)
    3)If I am talking to some about this flowers, I'd simply use its Chinese name "La Mei", just like last time you used "kuai" to mean "yuan".

Sun14

Chinese
    Just FYI:

1)I once ask my language adviser (A female AE speaker), she's in New York City. She told me she'd never heard of or seen this kind of flowers in New York.
    2)Here's a link that might be helpful. Since Daily Mail is a UK website, I guess gardeners in the UK might tell us more. Perhaps HG will come and share us her story. :)
    3)If I am talking to some about this flowers, I'd simply use its Chinese name "La Mei", just like last time you used "kuai" to mean "yuan".
    Why people don't know it maybe because they don't see it quite often. There are these plants grown in the northern part of America like Boston because it grows in the cold area..

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I don't know the plant. But I am not a gardener.

The wiki-article you linked above mentions two English names (wintersweet, Japanese allspice) plus the Chinese and Japanese names. I feel sure that if there was any other common AE word for this plant (even a word only gardener's use) it would be in the article.

< Previous | Next >