Wipe that pout off your puss. You look like a kid who just dropped his binky in the toilet.

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
What does this expression actually mean?

‘And wipe that pout off your puss. You look like a kid who just dropped his binky in the toilet.’

Source: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

In this scene, a new hire trainee showed his boss a new mock-up poster for advertising. The boss does not like it and the trainee looked sulky. The manger asks him calmly to sit down so that he explains to him, saying the above.

Thank you

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Binky" is a slang word often used for pacifier. That little kid would be pouting and probably starting to cry. The trainee apparently has that sort of expression on his face.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    'Puss' is clearly being used to mean 'face'. We use this word in Scotland but I was unaware it was well known in the USA (it derives from Gaelic I believe so it is also used in Ireland).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, "puss" for face has long been familiar in the US. Actually, it's pretty old-fashioned now; I don't think I've heard anyone in real life (as opposed to movies, or books taking place in an earlier era) use it in decades.

< Previous | Next >