wipe up the screen with

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HyperHanabi, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:34 AM.

1. HyperHanabi Senior Member

Bangkok - Thai
    It's an article about behind the scene of the film "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?"

--------------------------------------

Along with her recommendation of Davis to Farrell [author of the novel], Crawford added, “I’ll wipe up the screen with her!” Davis jumped at the chance to play Jane, ironically echoing to Farrell Crawford’s sentiments to the word: “I’ll wipe up the screen with her.”

---------------------------------------

Crawford and Davis are rival, not liking each other. But they want to do the same movie because it could gain their reputation, gain attention from media.
    I looked up at wipe up
    it said "To succeed in winning all of something."

I guess it could make sense, but not sure about the latter "ironically echoing to Farrell Crawford’s sentiments to the word: “I’ll wipe up the screen with her.”"

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    It means "I'll outshine her (on the screen) and cause her lack of merit to become evident."

3. HyperHanabi Senior Member

Bangkok - Thai
    I thought wipe up the screen
    is like "kill the screen with their glamour, acting skill."

4. kentix

kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    The screen is just a way of saying "in this movie" because when it's finished it will be shown on a movie screen. What she means is she believes that when people watch the movie on the screen in front of them they will think she is much better than Bette Davis.

The same kind of thing can be said in a basketball game. A player on one team might say about the other team, "We are going to wipe up the [basketball] court with them." It means "we will dominate them and easily beat them".

I'm not certain, but I think it might figuratively mean that they will treat them like they are a rag used for cleaning.

The ironic part in the original quotes is that each actress said exactly the same thing about the other. They both thought they were better and, without knowing it, they used the exact same slang words to say it.

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Yes. I think the original is something like "I'll wipe (up) the floor with you."

6. HyperHanabi Senior Member

Bangkok - Thai

Thank you so much. It makes sense to me.