Wireless account

< Previous | Next >

Lanaya

Turkish
Hello, everyone. I was watching a movie with English subtitles and there's a line I just couldn't figure out.
Context first: A woman suicides and fails. She gets back to her mother's home and she says "I closed your wireless account." I did some research on the Internet and thought about it a lot, yet I still couldn't come up with anything. What would come into your mind first if someone said "wireless account"?

• I'm unclear. "She gets back..." That is not the woman you just mentioned in the first sentence, I presume?
    Or do you mean, "A woman attempts suicide and fails. She gets back..."?

Hello, everyone. I was watching a movie with English subtitles and there's a line I just couldn't figure out.
    Context first: A woman suicides and fails. She gets back to her mother's home and she says "I closed your wireless account." I did some research on the Internet and thought about it a lot, yet I still couldn't come up with anything. What would come into your mind first if someone said "wireless account"?

Szkot

UK English
    When does the action take place. If it is in the present day, I would think of a 'wireless broadband' account for internet access. It sounds like a callous thing for the mother to say, but perhaps that is the intention.

Addition: Having just seen Myridon's post, we perhaps need to ask which country the film is set in. I would not think of my mobile phone as being 'wireless', although of course it is.

Lanaya

Turkish
    I'm unclear. "She gets back..." That is not the woman you just mentioned in the first sentence, I presume?
    Or do you mean, "A woman attempts suicide and fails. She gets back..."?
    She is. She's released from hospital and gets back to her mother's house. I forgot to put "attempt", sorry :)

Odd. That seems likely to be a translation error. Nothing else comes to mind.
    Although the spoken language in the movie is English, the woman who says that is originally French, so it can be a translation error.

< Previous | Next >