wise about the passage of time

< Previous | Next >

gimhee

Korean
But I sometimes wish he(her son) would move out to a nice farm in the country for a week or two.
Unfortunately, one isn’t allowed to say this in polite company. Strangers admonish us to savor every moment. “They grow up so fast!” they cluck, as I watch Leo’s pants become high waters and pray he never stops lisping. I get it, I want to say to them. Hush now. Sometimes, the existentialism of parenthood is too much for me: Someday, Leo won’t need me anymore, and I’ll look back on his childhood and feel old, lonely and very wise about the passage of time

what does "hush now" mean.. and who is it directed at ?

what does "very wise about the passage of time" mean? .. "old , lonely" all have negative meaning.. why "very wise" all of a sudden?

please teach me~!!

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/you-cant-imagine-life-without-kids-i-can/?_r=0

• owlman5

English-US
    The strangers who cluck are the people to whom he says "Hush now." "Hush now" is a polite way of saying "Be quiet" or "Shut up."

If he feels "wise about the passage of time", he thinks he knows something about how time affects people during their lives. Wisdom is one of the few advantages of old age. He is imagining how he will feel and what he will think when he is old and Leo is an adult.

gimhee

Korean
    The strangers who cluck are the people to whom he says "Hush now." "Hush now" is a polite way of saying "Be quiet" or "Shut up."

If he feels "wise about the passage of time", he thinks he knows something about how time affects people during their lives. Wisdom is one of the few advantages of old age. He is imagining how he will feel and what he will think when he is old and Leo is an adult.
    thank you so much~!!

< Previous | Next >