wise beyond one's years

Quake 3

France
Comment est-ce que vous comprenez cette phrase?

'You fear to face me openly? You are wise beyond your years.'​

J'ai beau essayé je n'arrive pas à saisir le sens de cette phrase. "Etre sage au-delà de ses années" n'a strictement aucun sens en français. Pourriez-vous s'il vous plaît m'aider à en comprendre le sens?
Merci beaucoup!

• chain-reaction

France, french
    Avoir une sagesse qui dépasse son age. Etre jeune mais pourtant sage. Un peu comme dans l'expression "la valeur n'attend pas le nombre des années". On pourrait s'amuser à créer l'adage "la sagesse n'attend pas le nombre des années".

Trisia

Romanian
    Hello, Quake 3 :D

The character is saying that his opponent is a lot wiser than any would expect from a person his age, because he doesn't face him/come to attack him.

Although it looks that way, it has nothing to do with the actual age of the person. It's just a way of saying that the opponent is smarter than expected. It's really sarcastic, too.

Quake 3

France
    LOL Trisia, you obviously guessed the context on your own! Way to go!
    All right, I understand and really appreciate your explanations. I keep in mind what both of you just told me.
    Since we know the context, which is undoubtely sarcastic, in French, could we say "Tu es bien plus sage/malin qu'il n'y paraît." or would something stronger be required?
    And thanks for your help!

Trisia

Romanian
    (I have a brother who used to play Quake :))

Sorry to say French expressions are not my strongest point :(. I like the version with "malin" though. I feel it fits in the context a lot better. Feel free to choose yourself :D

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    May I simply add that "wise beyond your years" is perhaps sarcastic in this context, but that it doesn't always have to be sarcastic. Sometimes it is a compliment, or simply a neutral statement (especially if you are talking about the person, instead of saying it to their face). :)

scorp

lebanon (french,arabic,armenian,english and learning spanish)
    hi tu peux dire:tu as peur de me battre face a face?ton inteligeance est cache derriere tes annees.

Quake 3

France
    Well Scorp, thanks for the help but I'm afraid... yes, I'm afraid your translation is all but French!
    The words are okay but the meaning is... well, where's the meaning?
    However, thanks.

Quake 3

France
    Damn! I just realised, with the help of Trisia that I may appear a bit too aggressive, and I just wanted to say that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to, Scorp is besides all new on this forum and I should greet him with a warm welcome and thank him for his help. I just believe your response was a bit awkward but that's really sweet of you to help me and I show my gratitude to you. To you and the rest of you, all those who have helped me until now.

< Previous | Next >