wish it would be

< Previous | Next >

fermin2

Spanish
Hello people, I have a small doubt about this following sentence I wrote myself, I want to know if "I wish it would be" is grammatically correct when referring to "being somewhere else" at a different place or location.

Context: There's car show next week, there will be a lot of customized cars as well as brand new ones to look at, (all of a sudden a ferrari goes past me as I'm walking down the sidewalk) and I say "look at that car it's so luxurious, it's so unique", "I wish it would be at the car show next week, and it stayed there".

Is the part in bold grammatically correct, also is the use of "I wish" plus "it would be" correct if I'm talking about being at a different place in the near future??

Last edited:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think "would" is fine. I don't really like "could" for this case.

I might say "I wish I could view/see it at the car show next week".

But not: I wish it could be at the car show next week.

loghrat

British English / Danish
    Hello people, I have a small doubt about this following sentence I wrote myself, I want to know if "I wish it would be" is grammatically correct when referring to "being somewhere else" at a different place or location.

Context: There's car show next week, there will be a lot of customized cars as well as brand new ones to look at, (all of a sudden a ferrari goes past me as I'm walking down the sidewalk) and I say "look at that car it's so luxurious, it's so unique", "I wish it would be at the car show next week, and it stayed there".

Is the part in bold grammatically correct, also is the use of "I wish" plus "it would be" correct if I'm talking about being at a different place in the near future??
    "I hope it will be at the car show next week" (we often use 'hope' for something that's possible)(and 'will' for future)
    "I wish I could afford to buy a Ferrari" (and 'wish' for something that's not possible)

(Just a general rule. It doesn't always apply, e.g. I wish you a Merry Christmas!)

Last edited:

fermin2

Spanish
    Thank you guys for your help! I'm glad I got it right, and I think there's probably a more common version of that phrase but I really needed to verify if my sentence was grammatically correct

fermin2

Spanish
    Oh.. Hello "loghrat" I just saw you post, and I assume by your suggestion that my sentence does not fit the context the way I meant it to, but is it still grammatical??

Last edited:

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Perpend. It can work with "could", look at loghrat's example: "I wish I could...".

I would like to direct you to Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary "'Could,' 'can,' and 'would':

Could is also used to refer to something that you wish to have or do but that is not possible ("If only we could be free of this tyrant!").
    (See: www.learnersdictionary.com/blog.php?action=ViewBlogArticle&ba_id=39)

Another test is to change "would" to "will" and "could" to "can":
    "It will be...." versus "It can be...".

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, maybe, roxcyn, but we're talking about many English native speakers across the world.

I just expressed my opinion.

< Previous | Next >