wish on (star)

< Previous | Next >

Adrian

Poland, Polish
I try and try and try to understand and nothing really comes to my mind.

"Two hearts wishing on one star"

does that mean that two people send the same wish to one star?
hoping, asking, waiting for someting to come into their lifes ?

• Focalist

European Union, English
    Adrian said:
    I"Two hearts wishing on one star"

Yes, probably, Adrian. Although they are not necessarily sending the same wish, that is the implication: two people each directing their faith and their hope in one direction.

F

(PS: Welcome to the forum :) )

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Adrian said:
    I try and try and try to understand and nothing really comes to my mind.

"Two hearts wishing on one star"

Hi Adrian! I've never heard of "WISH ON" but "wish" alone. But searching for it in my dictionaries I've found this, although I don´t think it makes sense in connection to your sentence. Anyway take a look at it.

The NEW OXFORD Dictionary
    OF ENGLISH
    wish
    verb [no OBJ.] feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen: we wished for peace | [with CLAUSE] he wished that he had practised the routines.
    n*
    silently invoke such a hope or desire, especially in a ritualized way: I closed my eyes and wished.
    n*
    [with INFINITIVE] feel or express a desire to do something: they wish to become involved.
    n*
    [with OBJ. and INFINITIVE] ask (someone) to do something or that (something) be done: I wish it to be clearly understood.
    n*
    [with TWO OBJS] express a desire for (the success or good fortune) of (someone): they wish her every success.
    n*
    [with OBJ.] (wish something on) hope that something unpleasant will happen to: I would not wish it on the vilest soul.

Take it with a pinch of salt (or in AmericanEnglish "with a grain of salt")
    Cheers, Art. :p

Perrin

New Zealand / English
    Artrella said:
    I've never heard of "WISH ON" but "wish" alone. But searching for it in my dictionaries I've found this, although I don´t think it makes sense in connection to your sentence. Anyway take a look at it.
    There is an expression 'to wish upon a star', which is sometimes shortened to 'wish on a star' (although not too often), and sometimes mangled into 'wish on/upon (something other than a star)'.

I'm not quite sure of the rationale behind the original expression, but for some reason people think making a wish on a star makes it more likely to come true. Hence the kids' rhyme: "first star I see tonight, wish I may, wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight"...

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Focalist said:
    When you wish upon a star
    Makes no difference who you are
    Anything your heart desires
    Will come to you

Listen here...

F

Thanks four your research! This is LEARNING, real LEARNING for me, non English speaker, to know where expressions come from... I really appreciate this kind of information because it goes far beyond of what my teacher teaches us in the classroom! I'm going to save all these threads and read them during holidays. Really great! Thanks F. :D

Focalist

European Union, English
    Just to point out (in case anyone is planning to learn the words!) that there is one mistake one on the page I quoted:

In the third verse

Fate is kind
    She brings to those to love

should read

Fate is kind
    She brings to those who love

F

Popsumpot

Chinese: English, Chinese
    the "wish upon a star" comes from a old pagan tradition of 'praying' to the Northern Star. Later it is said the "star" is a "comet"

< Previous | Next >