with a mouse click

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news simply with a mouse click.

Hi,
Is it better to replace "with a mouse click" with "with a click on the mouse?" Thanks.

• srta chicken

US English
    It is probably more common to hear "with a click of the mouse", and personally, I like the rhythm of that phrase more than I do the alternative.

Meyer Wolfsheim

English
    Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news simply with a mouse click.

Hi,
    Is it better to replace "with a mouse click" with "with a click on the mouse?" Thanks.
    The first sentence is fine, but I don't like the sound of using the indefinite article with "mouse click" in the second option you gave. If anything, I would put:

Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news simply with the click of a mouse.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news simply with the click of a mouse.
    :) I am just wondering whether "the" should be a undefinite article (= a).

Copyright

American English
    I'm definitely an indefinite guy here: with a click of the mouse. Any old click of the mouse you own -- not a specific click of any mouse you happen upon. :D

Copyright

American English
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/devon/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8337000/8337974.stm
    The music machines themselves are all on one iMAC computer and you can access each one with the click of a mouse.

I wonder why with the click of a mouse is correct.
    Both statements are grammatically correct... it's just that I find myself using them under different circumstances which I'm not sure I could even explain without a few hours of thought and research.

In your example above, I prefer "with the click of a mouse."

Copyright

American English
    I thought I'd scratched that itch: both are correct. Choose the one you like best. :)

But let me go a little further and see why I like different versions here:

Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news with a click of the mouse. It's probably my computer, so it's my mouse, so it's the mouse (that I own) and it's any click I care to make with it.

The music machines themselves are all on one iMAC computer and you can access each one with the click of a mouse. It's not my machine -- it's a machine you're trying to sell me -- so it's just an anonymous mouse (a mouse) and I would use "the click" so I don't have two "a" in there (a click of a mouse), which I don't care for.

That's probably enough personal opinion for one message. :)

LQZ

Mandarin
    1 Instead of buying newspapers, more and more people get the latest news simply with a click ofthe mouse.
    2 The music machines themselves are all on one iMAC computer and you can access each one with the click of a mouse.
    To my way of thinking, "a click of the mouse" doesn't specify any mouse on any computer, that is probably yours, mine or his.
    But "the click of a mouse" is refering to the mouse on iMAC computer, thus "the" is used here.

If I am wrong, please correct me.:)

Moreover, I agree with your point about the mouse and a mouse.

< Previous | Next >