with a woman’s grief <at yielding up her hour>

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(the last paragraph, page 258, chapter 12) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):

But she could feel his consciousness straying, listening to the noises outside.
‘It’ll be nearly dark,’ he said. And she heard the pressure of circumstances in his voice. She(Connie) kissed him(Mellors), with a woman’s grief at yielding up her hour.
He rose, and turned up the lantern, then began to pull on his clothes, quickly disappearing inside them.

I can understand she kissed him was because she heard the pressure of the times(=the pressure of circumstance) in his voice. But It seems better to me if we change the the blue words into: with a woman's grief because of (=at) her being yielded up. And hour seems to be unnecessary, because we can yield up(=give up) somebody, but can't yield up somebody's hour.

Could you please do me a favor?
Thank you in advance

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    She(Connie) kissed him(Mellors), with a woman’s grief at yielding up her hour. = with the typical regret of a woman who realises that her moment of triumph and satisfaction must come to an end and she allowed that end to happen.

One's hour = the period following the time when one has achieved something great.

siares

Slovak
    Hello all,
    what sense is grief used in please?
    Sorrow or annoyance? Edit: I overlooked that it's regret, sorry.
    Is it suitable for today's English as well - not too dramatic a word?
    Thank you

does "at yielding up her hour" equal at her yielding up hour please?
    Did you by any chance mean: Her grief at her yielding up an hour?
    (Just guessing in case the article is the only reason this doesn't mean anything to a native speaker. See PaulQ's post that there must be a possessive right before the hour - one's hour)

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    One's hour = a significant moment or time in the subject's life; the apex of one's life; one's best moment/ moment of fame, triumph, or glory, or similar.

< Previous | Next >