with abandoned wretchedness

DeeDol

Slovak
Hi,

I do not understand the meaning of this phrase in the following sentence:

‘Noooo!’ howled the woman in black like a baying dog. ‘He hurt me,’ she gasped to Robin, tugging down her top with abandoned wretchedness to reveal the marks on the strong white neck. ‘He dragged me, he pulled me—’

Context: The woman was attacked and is trying to persuade Robin to help her to escape.
Source: Robert Galbraith: The Silkworm

It seems very wordy to me and I cannot figure out the meaning (especially of the word "abandoned").

• Biffo

English - England
    I don't like the phrase either. I'm surprised because I liked J.K. Rowling's writing in Harry Potter. Maybe she wrote this before that.

"abandoned" probably means she had abandoned her modesty.

"wretchedness" describes her state of mind. She was miserable.

DeeDol

Slovak
    Thank you, Biffo. I also liked HP more:) "Galbraith's" prose is proving difficult to translate.

Couldn't the meaning of "abandoned" be related to the noun form "abandon" (defined as "complete lack of inhibition or restraint in the Oxford Dictionary) and mean something like "unrestrained/uninhibited wretchedness"?

romeo_in_romanian

English - British
    She feels "wretched" (in a very unhappy or unfortunate state).
    however This feeling has been "abandoned" (left behind).

It is very wordy. in this instance that is the authors intention, to express how the woman is hiding marks (she doesn't like them, perhaps feels ashamed/embarrassed by them) but reaches a point where she has to reveal them.

DeeDol

Slovak
    Hm... So she stopped being/caring about/? her unhappiness and showed the marks on her throat? Does that make sense?

< Previous | Next >