With an accumulation of work experience

rainbow wall

Chinese
Hello, Group

This is my first time to use this platform. After reading the posted threads, I find it is really helpful. I have two questions for you:

Question 1: "With an accumulation of work experience, I expected to be a qualified business leader in the future. " In this sentence, does the front part, with an accumulation of work experience read like being written by a native speaker. I mean is it right to express in this way?
Question 2: I find the word of accumulation is both an uncountable noun and a countable noun, so how to use it in the different situations?

Thanks in advance.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Welcome to the forum! :)

It sounds odd to me, I'm afraid, because here in the UK "work experience" is a scheme whereby pupils at secondary school spend a couple of weeks with a firm or organization to see what it would be like doing that type of job after they leave school. I'm fairly certain that's not what you mean here.

lingobingo

English - England
    I agree. Business (or commercial, to avoid duplication) experience might be more appropriate. But why have you got “expected” in the past tense?

rainbow wall

Chinese
    Welcome to the forum! :)

It sounds odd to me, I'm afraid, because here in the UK "work experience" is a scheme whereby pupils at secondary school spend a couple of weeks with a firm or organization to see what it would be like doing that type of job after they leave school. I'm fairly certain that's not what you mean here.
    Yes, that's not what I want to expreess. I originally think there is a problem of using the word of accumulation in this sentence, then it comes the problem is the "work experience". If I change the sentence into "After a few years' accumulation of commercial experience, I expect to be a qualified business leader in the future." Will that read like a sentence written by a native speaker?
    Feel amazing that my post can be replied in such a short time! Thank you.

rainbow wall

Chinese
    I agree. Business (or commercial, to avoid duplication) experience might be more appropriate. But why have you got “expected” in the past tense?
    lingobingo, I like your profile image as I am a fan of family guy. hhh.
    In my sentence, the tense I used is wrong. I have corrected it. Thank you for your advice, how about professional experience? Do business experience, commercial experience and professional experience have a simiar meaning?

lingobingo

English - England
    You can’t really claim to have professional experience unless you’re qualified in some way. Business experience is probably the best, most comprehensive term to use. Commercial experience could possibly be taken to imply experience of selling. Otherwise, you could claim to have “practical experience in [whatever is appropriate]”.

rainbow wall

Chinese
    You can’t really claim to have professional experience unless you’re qualified in some way. Business experience is probably the best, most comprehensive term to use. Commercial experience could possibly be taken to imply experience of selling. Otherwise, you could claim to have “practical experience in [whatever is appropriate]”.
    Now, I am clear about these terms. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >