with an altitude of 456 meters on average

LQZ

Mandarin
...Bangchen township, which lies at longitude 118° east, and atitude 40° north, and is southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain and a transition zone, with an altitude of 456 meters on average, between the Yan Mountain and the Huabei Plain.

Dear all,

If I insert "with" phrase between transition zone and between to modify the preceding transition zone, is it understandable? Thanks.

LQZ

• Copyright

American English
    I think your question would be more understandable if you just said, Can I put the underlined phrase in above? :D Assuming that's your question. :)

Tell us what is 456 meters on average -- Banchen township, the Yan Mountain chain, or the transition zone?

AaronDale

American-English
    Is this what you are trying to write?

"Bangchen township lies at longitude 118° east, at latitude 40° north, is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain between the Yan Mountain and the Huabei Plain and is in a transition zone with an average altitude of 456 meters."

LQZ

Mandarin
    I think your question would be more understandable if you just said, Can I put the underlined phrase in above? :D Assuming that's your question. :)

Tell us what is 456 meters on average -- Banchen township, the Yan Mountain chain, or the transition zone?
    :eek: I am translating an geographical article about a small town in north China.
    Banchen township ---Banchen is the name of a town;
    Yan Mountain chain---there are mountains like Alps in north China called Yan.

Thanks.:)

LQZ

Mandarin
    Is this what you are trying to write?

"Bangchen township lies at longitude 118° east, at latitude 40° north, is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain between the Yan Mountain and the Huabei Plain and is in a transition zone with an average altitude of 456 meters."
    No, not exactly.

I am trying to say: Bangchen township lies at longitude 118° east, at latitude 40° north; Bangchen is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain; Bangchen's altidude is 456 meters on average; Bangchen is a transition zone between the Yan Mountain chain and the Huabei Plain.

Is it clearer?

Copyright

American English
    Is it clearer?
    Much clearer, thank you. I would suggest using two sentences, with all the numbers in one. Tell us about the township first and then get down to scientific details, like this:

Bangchen township is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain and forms a transition zone between the Yan Mountains and the Huabei Plain. Bangchen is at longitude 118° east and latitude 40° north and has an average altitude of 456 meters.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Much clearer, thank you. I would suggest using two sentences, with all the numbers in one. Tell us about the township first and then get down to scientific details, like this:

Bangchen township is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain and forms a transition zone between the Yan Mountains and the Huabei Plain. Bangchen is at longitude 118° east and latitude 40° north and has an average altitude of 456 meters.
    Thanks a lot. Mr Copyright.:)

Copyright

American English
    You're welcome. I've just used your words for latitude and longitude because I don't deal with them, so you might want to double-check the format. It's possible that it's "longitude 118°E and latitude 40°N" and it's also possible that latitude is quoted before longitude. Again, I don't know, so it's worth checking.

Edit: I just checked with Wikipedia and found that latitude does come before longitude and you can either use or discard the words, like this:
    Bangchen is at latitude 40°N, longitude 118°E.
    Bangchen is at 40°N, 118°E.

Last edited:

AaronDale

American-English

I'd like to note that a transition zone is a separation in the Earth's crust which is why Bangchen's elevation fluctuates. When considering this Bangchen can't form the transition zone.

I suggest:
    "Bangchen township is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain between the Yan Mountains and the Huabei Plain. Bangchen is at longitude 118° east and latitude 40° north and has an average altitude of 456 meters."

If you want to specify why the altitude fluctuates add a sentence about transition zones.
    "Bangchen's altitude fluctuates due to it's proximity to a transition zone."

LQZ

Mandarin
    You're welcome. I've just used your words for latitude and longitude because I don't deal with them, so you might want to double-check the format. It's possible that it's "longitude 118°E and latitude 40°N" and it's also possible that latitude is quoted before longitude. Again, I don't know, so it's worth checking.

Edit: I just checked with Wikipedia and found that latitude does come before longitude and you can either use or discard the words, like this:
    Bangchen is at latitude 40°N, longitude 118°E.
    Bangchen is at 40°N, 118°E.
    Thanks again, I've got it. :)

LQZ

Mandarin
    I'd like to note that a transition zone is a separation in the Earth's crust which is why Bangchen's elevation fluctuates. When considering this Bangchen can't form the transition zone.

I suggest:
    "Bangchen township is a southeastern extension of the Yan Mountain chain between the Yan Mountains and the Huabei Plain. Bangchen is at longitude 118° east and latitude 40° north and has an average altitude of 456 meters."

If you want to specify why the altitude fluctuates add a sentence about transition zones.
    "Bangchen's altitude fluctuates due to it's proximity to a transition zone."
    Thank you for your suggestion. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    Excuse me, but since "fluctuate" implies movement, are you saying that Bangchen is bouncing up and down?

Or does the altitude within the town just vary?

Averb
    1 fluctuate

be unstable; have ups and downs; "The stock market fluctuates"

Category Tree:changechange state; turnfluctuate

2 fluctuate, vacillate, waver

move or sway in a rising and falling or wavelike pattern; "the line on the monitor vacillated"

Category Tree:changeswingfluctuate, vacillate, waver

3 fluctuate

cause to fluctuate or move in a wave-like pattern

Category Tree:move; displacefluctuate

pops91710

English, AE
    Generally, when referring to topography or terrain, the word elevation is used instead of altitude. Maps and city signs, highways signs, etc. all say elevation, eventhough they both mean the same thing.

< Previous | Next >