with/have

totoro2019

Farsi
But if you manage properly and with a list of things to do, you can greatly control those pressures and spend a good day.

Or shall I say "... and have a list of things to do,..."?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    How did you expect "with a list of things to do" to fit in with the earlier part of the sentence?

With "and" used like this, you should be able to expand the phrase after "and" into the same type of clause that came before "and" just by using words from the beginning of the first clause. In this case, the nearest possibility would be: "You manage with a list of things to do", which does not really make sense.

"Have" is fine, as this can be expanded into "you have a list of things to do".

totoro2019

Farsi
    How did you expect "with a list of things to do" to fit in with the earlier part of the sentence?

With "and" used like this, you should be able to expand the phrase after "and" into the same type of clause that came before "and" just by using words from the beginning of the first clause. In this case, the nearest possibility would be: "You manage with a list of things to do", which does not really make sense.

"Have" is fine, as this can be expanded into "you have a list of things to do".
    I got it! Well, English sentence structure is different from my mother tongue. I'm trying to learn these kind of differences. In my language we can use "with" to show having something. Thank you so much for your help.

< Previous | Next >