With his echoing-vault moan of a delivery and (...)

qwalentina

Italian
Hi guys! I'm translating a newspaper article about the movie Dark Shadows, but I'm having some problems in understanding some points, such as, for example:

Depp, of course, is good value. His Barnabas is a haughty, feminised English dandy – ashen white with painted grey cheekbones, the slicked-forward hair of a Henry Irving-era Hamlet, and oddly squat physique. With his echoing-vault moan of a delivery and piss-elegant grandeur, he comes across like Alan Rickman playing Young Uncle Fester.

I know that delivery means way of speaking, but I'm not able to understand the previous part. Could you please be so nice to express the same concept in other words? :) I think it's a play on words, since I know that a vault could be a place where the members of the same family can be buried...

And I'm not even able to get the part referring to Alan Rickman. I've read on the web that Tim Burton is shooting a remake of the Addam Family in stop motion, but I wasn't able to discover anything else :( Does it refer to the fact that Alan Rickman (which will probably interpret Uncle Fester, but I didn't manage to find any info about the cast) is too old to interpret the character? And how does the sentence relate to Barnabas Collins?

Thank you for reading. I'm hoping that someone could help me ;)

• JamesM

As I read it, "echoing-vault moan" is simply a description of the impression his voice makes on the writer. It sounds like a moan you would hear in a vault or catacomb: dark and full of echoes. I imagine the part about Alan Rickman is referring to the dark, "swallowed" sound of his voice. I'm not sure what the "Young Uncle Fester" reference means. I know the Uncle Fester character, but his voice is a sort of cackle, if I remember correctly, so it doesn't seem appropriate here.

qwalentina

Italian
    Thank you, James! Now it's clearer. I hope someone else could help me to understand the Young Uncle Fester reference...

Loob

English UK
    Hi qwalentina

I think there are two separate things going on in the last part of your quote. The suggestion is that Johnny Depp sounds like Alan Rickman, but looks like a young Uncle Fester - so all in all he "comes across like Alan Rickman playing Young Uncle Fester".

Here's a picture of the Addams Family character Uncle Fester - click.

PS. And here's Johnny Depp in the role of Barnabas:).

Last edited:

qwalentina

Italian
    Hi guys! I know Uncle Fester, they run the Addam Family (the series, the cartoon and the movies) even here in Italy ;)
    I wasn't able to understand that shade that you've just suggested me, Loob ;) It was obvious, but it didn't come immediately to my mind! Thanks :)

qwalentina

Italian
    I've just read that the Italian dubbing of the character is not as effective as the original one (his voice talent dubbs more or less in the same way in Depp's movies). If you're interested in hearing the Italian voice of Johnny Depp you can find the movie trailer on YouTube ;)

< Previous | Next >