with his stripes we are healed

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Translating the Bible (Isaiah Iiii.3-6)
From The Great Bible

He is despised and abhorred of men. He is Such a man as is full of sorrow and as hath good experience of infirmities. We have reckoned him so vile that we hid our faces from him. Yet, he was despised and therefore we regarded him not. Howbeit he only hath taken on him our infirmities and borne our pains. Yet we did judge him, as though he were plagued and cast down of God and punished. Whereas he (notwithstanding) was wounded for our offenses and smitten for our wickedness. For the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him and with his stripes we are healed. As for us, we have gone all astray, like sheep; every one hath turned his own way. But the Lord hath heaped together upon him the iniquity of us all.

Source: Norton Anthology of English Literature

What's the meaning of the red sentence (with his stripes we are healed)?

Many thanks in advance.

• sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Thanks for answering Nunty. I also know the meanings word by word but totally not.
    I still can't understand what this sentence (with his stripes we are healed) means.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It means that his flogging brought about our healing.

Have you looked up the verses in a bible in your own language?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    But if a person uses a whip to punish me, then my body would be worse not healed.

That's why I say the sentence doesn't make sense to me. Suppose I punish my friend whit a whip. Will his body be worse or healed? Sure it will be injured.

Last edited:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    This is the bible. The sentence is mystical and theological. I know it doesn't make sense in the usual way of thinking of things, but that is what it means. His body will be injured, but we will receive benefits. :(

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Wow how funny book. Ok thanks for your prompt answer dear Nunty. Now I understood both of them. I owe you a lot. Thanks a million.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >