...with little in common, SAVE a desire to...

eversummer

Chinese - China
I read a book and found one sentence difficult to understand. I don't think this sentence is grammatically correct but when I pasted this sentence into Word, it didn't show any grammar errors. Here's the quote:

Feminism is a fairly general label attached not to a set of universally accepted postulates but to a range of beliefs with little in common, save a desire to raise consciousness and to user in a more equal society.

In this sentence, I don't know what SAVE means. Is it a conjunctive here? But if it is a conjuctive, it means 'except' as I looked it up in the dictionary. So does it really mean it? This is the first time I've seen the word 'save' being used as a conjuctive.

Thanks.

• Mr.Dent

English American
    Feminism is a fairly general label attached not to a set of universally accepted postulates but to a range of beliefs with little in common, save a desire to raise consciousness and to usher in a more equal society.
    ...save a desire...

...except for a desire...

You won't find the word save used like this in everyday conversation, but you will find it used this way in literary or formal writing.

< Previous | Next >