With no coaching will he pass the exam vs with no coaching he will pass the exam

Maranello_rosso

Russian
Hello everyone.
Please, could you tell me?

Here are 2 sentences.

1.with no coaching will he pass the exam.
2.with no coaching he will pass the exam.

Is there differences between the meaning of the sentences?

An inversion is used in the 1st sentence..

• Maranello_rosso

Russian
    Please tell us what you want your sentence to me, and explain the situation in which you would use it.
    It is our from a book about English grammar Вехйман грамматика текста. So the auther says that in the first sentence where an inversions is used the meaning will be : in any case hi will not pass the exam.
    And in the second sentence without the inversion the meaning will be : at any case he will pass the exam.

This is why I have asked here. Is it the truth?

london calling

UK English
    No, it's absolute nonsense if he's talking about those two sentences in particular. I suppose he means this kind of thing:

Under no circumstances, even with a lot of coaching, will he pass the exam.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    The first sentence is not correct. Inversion is used when the first part is negative in a particular way, which this is not. For example, "Only with coaching will he pass the exam." is correct with inversion.
    The second one is problematic.
    He will pass the exam with no coaching. is clear. He doesn't need coaching.
    With no coaching, he will pass the exam. is unclear. It makes me think "With coaching, he won't pass the exam." which seems nonsensical (coaching shouldn't be harmful).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    With no (amount of) coaching will he pass the exam. (There's no way he's going to pass that exam.)

That interpretation is very far-fetched. It isn't a very helpful way of looking at what is evidently a question without a question mark. I advise you to forget about it.

Maranello_rosso

Russian
    With no (amount of) coaching will he pass the exam. (There's no way he's going to pass that exam.)

That interpretation is very far-fetched. It isn't a very helpful way of looking at what is evidently a question without a question mark. I advise you to forget about it.
    Thank you very much!

The first sentence is not correct. Inversion is used when the first part is negative in a particular way, which this is not. For example, "Only with coaching will he pass the exam." is correct with inversion.
    The second one is problematic.
    He will pass the exam with no coaching. is clear. He doesn't need coaching.
    With no coaching, he will pass the exam. is unclear. It makes me think "With coaching, he won't pass the exam." which seems nonsensical (coaching shouldn't be harmful).
    Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >