With or without a question tag?

Antara Manova

Bulgarian Bulgaria
I have a question with a very subtle meaning in the difference -- a sentence with or without the usage of a question tag. I'd like to hear which one sounds better. The sentence is coming from a British English speaker.

“I need to talk to Dayton and Hugh about this. I can’t raise your salary without their knowledge and approval, (now) can I?”

vs
“I need to talk to Dayton and Hugh about this. I can’t raise your salary without their knowledge and approval.”

Is there any subtle difference in the first and in the second sentence? Which is better for a BE?

Thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    Without the tag, the sentence is a simple statement of fact.

If you use the tag, you are inviting the listener to disagree with you. That listener might answer "I think you can."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I can't do X now, can I? = I can't do X. I'm sure we both agree on that. Right?

The extra words imply it is something obviously true. It's similar to saying "of course".

boozer

Bulgarian
    I agree with Mr Owl, except for one small thing - the question tag is not inviting the listener to disagree, but to agree. :D Of course, such an invitation can easily be turned down, so he surely has a point... :) Neither sounds better or worse to me - they are equally correct.

< Previous | Next >