with or without "ones"

< Previous | Next >

jc963

Spanish
Hi everybody. I need your help with this statatement. Which one is better or none. Does it sound "English"?

Mechatronics graduates will have understanding of nature, advances, uses, and limitations of materials used in engineering, both electronic and mechanical.

Mechatronics graduates will have understanding of nature, advances, uses, and limitations of materials used in engineering, both electronic and mechanical ones.

• Hi everybody. I need your help with this statatement. Which one is better or none. Does it sound "English"?

Mechatronics graduates will have understanding of nature, advances, uses, and limitations of materials used in engineering, both electronic and mechanical.

Mechatronics graduates will have understanding of nature, advances, uses, and limitations of materials used in engineering, both electronic and mechanical ones.

Hi jc963,

The first sentence sounds more natural to me.

LRV

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Me too. The second one is wrong.

Some improvements:

Mechatronics graduates will have an understanding of the nature, advances, uses, and limitations of the materials used in engineering, both electronic and mechanical.

I wonder what you mean by "advances."

keepsakes

English/Chinese Canada/China
    Mechatronics graduates will have an understanding of the nature, advances, uses, and limitations of the materials used in both electronic and mechanical engineering.

More direct?

mjscott

American English
    Hi everybody. I need your help with this statatement. Which one is better or none. Does it sound "English"?

The phrase both electronic and mechanical refer to the materials used in engineering. It is speaking of the limitations of materials used in both electronic engineering and mechanical engineering. Because of this, having ones at the end of the sentence doesn't really have any place in the sentence construction.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Mechatronics graduates will have an understanding of the nature, advances, uses, and limitations of the materials used in both electronic and mechanical engineering.

More direct?
    Yes, definitely.

Another quibble: I would get rid of the "will."

By the time they're graduates they presumably already have this understanding.

< Previous | Next >