with orders to do what he could

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
After what he [Che] had seen there, he was also doubtful about General Moulana's ability or willingness to defend the strategic Fizi plain, a certain attack route in the event of a government offensive. He sent Mell with some men to try to "talk sense" to the Cosmonaut-General [General Moulana], with orders to do what he could to organize Fizi's defenses.
(Jon Lee Anderson; Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life)

I think 'he' should refer to Mell here. Is it so?

Thanks.

• Biffo

English - England
    After what he [Che] had seen there, he was also doubtful about General Moulana's ability or willingness to defend the strategic Fizi plain, a certain attack route in the event of a government offensive. He sent Mell with some men to try to "talk sense" to the Cosmonaut-General [General Moulana], with orders to do what he could to organize Fizi's defenses.
    (Jon Lee Anderson; Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life)

I think 'he' should refer to Mell here. Is it so?

Thanks.
    Unfortunately we cannot tell from the text you give. It is ambiguous. We need some context, either from more of the the text or from some other source that will explain what powers these people might have had to give orders to Moulana.

My guess is the same as yours but I wouldn't like to be categorical about it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >