With pleasing frequency

Man_from_India

Indian English
"Newspaper photographers were everywhere and Skouri managed to have his photograph taken with pleasing frequency."

What is the meaning of "pleasing frequency"?

• owlman5

English-US
    That's a good question, Man from India. :) I'm not sure that I, with my fifty years of experience with English, can really tell you what the writer meant. If Skouri manages to have his photograph taken "with pleasing frequency", then it's reasonable to ask "Pleasing to whom?" I certainly don't care how often Skouri gets his picture taken. I assume that the writer is pleased that this is so, yet I question his choice of words. Why should the rest of us be pleased because Skouri is a camera hog?

Loob

English UK
    Presumably the context (where is it, ManfI?) indicates who the frequency is 'pleasing' to....

Man_from_India

Indian English
    Well I need to bring the context out here.
    It was a line from Sidney Sheldon's The Other Side of Midnight.

Skouri is the Chief of Police in Athens. And there was going to be a murder trial of famous actress Noella Page and Larry Douglas. And so a lot of people crowded the place, that included the newspaper photographers as well. And to maintain the calm and order among the crowd the police was introduced there. And naturally Mr. Skouri was there to do his job.

owlman5

English-US
    That still doesn't answer the question of who it is that Skouri is pleasing by having his photograph taken. Why does anybody care whether Skouri is photographed or not? I suspect that only Sheldon himself will have an idea of what he truly meant to say. Taken in isolation, the remark sounds absurd to me. :)

Loob

English UK
    Yes, I'm sure that's right, ManfI.

See earlier in the text:
    Chief Skouri was not a fool, and it had occurred to him as he had shaved that morning that it would do no harm to his career if he were shown in newsreels as he took the eminent visitors into his charge. It was an extraordinary stroke of fate that had decreed that a worldwide event as sensational as this one had occurred in his domain, and he would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

owlman5

English-US
    I think that's a pretty good guess, Man from India. Though I've never met him, Skouri sounds like the sort of person who would enjoy any attention he gets from others. :)

PS I'm glad to see that Loob confirms us in our speculations. She's very good with English, and I'd reconsider any position of mine that she found strange.

Man_from_India

Indian English
    Thank you, Loob and Owlman. I got it. So my guess is right; its really a pleasant feeling!!!

Well Loob, I want to ask you something I can't resist. You already read this story or just read it as I asked this question?

The book is with you? Or you searched Google?

< Previous | Next >