with pleasure or it's my pleasure

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering which reply is idiomatic:

Could you look after my pet dog for me while we are away?

1) with pleasure

2) it's my pleasure

I thought both of them could mean I'm willing to.

• Copyright

American English
    "With pleasure" and "It's my pleasure" both sound a bit excessive for the chore, and mean more than "I'm willing to." They mean that I would be delighted to look after little Pepe and feed him three times a day and walk him and clean up after him and replace the various things he'll destroy while you're gone. :) But perhaps you love the dog that much. :D

If you're enthusiastic, you might consider, "I'd be happy to."

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I must admit to greatly preferring "With pleasure" to "It's my pleasure", which sounds extremely pompous and self-important. I couldn't say it.

It may be that I am influenced against "It's my pleasure" by the fact that I was once alone, quietly sitting minding my own business in our Common Room at work, late one cold winter Friday evening, when a very elderly and very reactionary and, as I thought, very stuffy colleague came in and told me a story about a Geordie who went into a hat shop.

"Good Afternoon, Sir, and what is your pleasure?" asked the smart assistant.

The Geordie replied, "My pleasures are fucking... and pidgins, but, right now, what I want is a flat hat."

I think the Geordie was right. We shouldn't talk like that about things being our pleasure.

< Previous | Next >