With populations growing faster than the turkish lira is falling, developmental issues loom large.

street_princess

Turkey, Turkish
Hi all. I`m translating a text with the title 3rd world development. I couldn`t understand what exactly the following sentence means :

With populations growing faster than the turkish lira is falling, developmental issues loom large.

And here I`m giving the context ;

China`s population is 1.2 billion.India`s population is nearing 1 billion. These will be the first two developing countries with the distinction of having populations over 1 billion.With populations growing faster than the Turkish Lira is falling, developmental issues loom large.

Can you help me please ? :confused:

• courtney w

English - Canada
    I assume that this sentence essentially means: The populations are growing very very fast, and there will be big problems in the future for the development of these countries.
    The reference to the Turkish lira might be saying that the lira is losing value very very fast (I know nothing about finance/world economics but I assume that this is what that means) but the populations of these countries are growing even faster. The point of this is to give the reader an idea of exactly how fast the population is growing by comparing it to something.
    Does this help/make sense?

street_princess

Turkey, Turkish
    hmm for sure it makes sense. So; " populations are growing fast " and " turkish lira is losing value fast " so this causes "the developmental issues to loom large."

But it would be much more meaningful if the writer referred to Turkish population together with Turkish Lira , right ?

It is more clear for me now. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >