with regard to v. with respect to v. in terms of

hhtt

Turkish
1) With regard to mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong—stiffnesses and strengths are comparable to those of the metals.

1 is the original.

Which of the following is correct, idiomatic and retains the meaning as the original?

2) With respect to mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong—stiffnesses and strengths are comparable to those of the metals.

3) In terms of mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong—stiffnesses and strengths are comparable to those of the metals

Source:Material Science and Engineering by Callister/Rethwisch

Thank you.

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I would reject (2); we give respect to people or to their work, it doesn't fit mechanical behaviour. (3) is acceptable, but can come across as a bit of a cliché that doesn't quite hit the mark. With "terms", we tend to think of contracts.
    (1) is fine as it stands, but if any change were wanted, I might use:

4) As far as mechanical behaviour is concerned, ceramic...

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I agree with Edinburgher. There are also numerous other more or less formal alternatives such as "as regards", "when it comes to", or simply "The mechanical properties of..."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't agree with Edinburgher: I don't like 1 (which I see as a cliché) and but I don't see (2) as awkward; it gives statement about ceramic materials in terms of mechanical behaviour:
    X with respect to Y is expressed as x/y. Thus "with respect to Y, X is large" = in terms of Y, X is large.

If we consider
    mechanical behavior,
    In their mechanical behavior,

Last edited:

hhtt

Turkish
    I would reject (2); we give respect to people or to their work, it doesn't fit mechanical behaviour.
    But in scientific language, we use usually use "with respect to". It refers to a ratio and we usually see it in the form of "with respect to time" i.e change in quantity/change in time which is sometimes a derivative of a function. So now what do you think of ? [/QUOTE]

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish
    I agree with Edinburgher. There are also numerous other more or less formal alternatives such as "as regards", "when it comes to", or simply "The mechanical properties of..."
    Are they

1. As regards mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong ?
    2. When it comes to mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong ?
    3. Simply (the) mechanical behavior, ceramic materials are relatively stiff and strong ?

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish
    I don't agree with Edinburgher: I don't like 1 (which I see as a cliché) and but I don't see (2) as awkward; it gives statement about ceramic materials in terms of mechanical behaviour:
    X with respect to Y is expressed as x/y. Thus "with respect to Y, X is large" = in terms of Y, X is large.

If we consider
    mechanical behavior,
    In their mechanical behavior,
    What do you think about 3. ?

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish
    I think that'd also be a possibility, hhtt (#8).
    I was asking that if you mean "Is it "Insofar as mechanical behavior is concerned, ceramics ..." ?" because you have writen very limited part. I tried to complete reminder which is I am not sure if you meant that.

Thank you.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I was asking that if you mean "Is it "Insofar as mechanical behavior is concerned, ceramics ..." ?" because you have writen very limited part. I tried to complete reminder which is I am not sure if you meant that.

Thank you.
    Yes, that's what I meant. (P.S., "the remainder".)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It refers to a ratio and we usually see it in the form of "with respect to time" i.e change in quantity/change in time which is sometimes a derivative of a function. So now what do you think of ?
    But there is no ratio here, and mechanical behaviour is just a concept, it is not a variable or a kind of X-axis. I'm still not keen on "with respect to" in this context.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I can imagine a graph entitled "Mechanical Properties" with axes "Stiffness" and "Strength" upon which "Ceramics" score highly.

< Previous | Next >