with some seeming difficulties and much grimace

enkidu68

turkish
Hi folks, this is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
Context: Colonel Jack brought some goods to the governor to obtain his freedom.
Does bold one modify Governer's reluctance?

After I had placed these by themselves, I found means, with some seeming difficulties and much grimace, to bring him to know that this was intended for a present to himself

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I imagine the governor doesn't speak English? So Jack has to grimace (= make gestures, pull faces) to show him that this was intended as a present, and this seemed difficult. The phrase modifies Jack's efforts; it may also suggest the governor's reluctance, especially "seeming".

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'I found means to bring him to know' contains two expressions that mean the speaker found it slow and difficult, so these other expressions also naturally belong to his efforts, not the Governor's reception of them.

enkidu68

turkish
    By the way, It is true that the Governor does not speak English, but Colonel Jack knows Spanish. He told it about on previous pages.

enkidu68

turkish
    I thought it must be useful other sentences following this one.

After all that part was over, and he had seemed to accept them, he signified, after walking a hundred turns and more in the room by them, by throwing his hat, which was under his arm, upon them, and making a very stiff bow; I say,after this he seemed to take his leave of me for a while.

< Previous | Next >