...with the best of them(?) (Immelt on Industrial Internet)

Len_

Russia, Russian
Please help me catch the meaning of this piece. With whom or with what? Does Immelt mean - with some CT or with that imaging device on stage (why?) or with some people? Does the author mean that an imaging device is kind of CT? Sorry, i realise it's very silly question, but i really need to know.

"I'm a 30-year GE guy. I used to run this [healthcare] business. I can sit down and have a CT review with the best of them," Immelt said, pointing to an imaging device on stage. "On analytics and software, we had to retrain the leadership team -- basically the big iron team-- and we had Bill [Ruh, VP of GE's software and analytics center] and his team come before the leadership team and say, 'Here are the 10 questions you ask when you're doing a review.' So we all have to relearn stuff. Don't be too proud."
Source: GE CEO Jeff Immelt's Analytics Lessons Learned
Author: Chris Murphy
Background: Industrial Internet

Many thanks in advance!

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I don't know what a CT review is, but what Immelt is saying with "I can sit down and have a CT review with the best of them" is that he is skilled and experienced at doing CT reviews. There are people who are "the best" at this, and he is as good as they are.

Len_

Russia, Russian
    JustKate and Miss Julie, thanks a lot!

CT = Computed tomography, but i don't know what is "an imaging device". Is it kind of CT? If Immelt had said "review on the best of them" or had pointed to one of its employees, i would have understood. Well, he spoke about people.

Thanks a lot once again!

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    JustKate and Miss Julie, thanks a lot!

CT = Computed tomography, but i I don't know what is "an imaging device" is. Is it kind of CT? If Immelt had said "review on the best of them" or had pointed to one of its employees, i I would have understood. Well, he spoke about people.

Thanks a lot once again!
    An imaging device is simply a machine that does computed tomography (CT), ultrasonography (ultrasound), radiography (x-rays), etc.

"With the best of them" is a set (colloquial) phrase. Like Kate said, it means you can do something as well as those who are considered the best.

Len_

Russia, Russian
    Miss Julie, thank you very very much! Now i get it - once and for all! Wow, it's an idiom!

JustKate and Miss Julie, thanks a lot once again! And Miss Julie, thanks a lot for error correction. My writing English is awful.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >