with the mad hope to see her again at the street

loureed4

Spanish
Hi there!,

I´m drawing up a text on my own, and I don´t really know whether or not this is correct:

"He rushed with the mad hope to see her again at the street"

Thanks a lot in advance!

• I hadn't seen "mad" being used that way, although it may be correct.

Maybe something like this would sound better: He, madly, rushed to go see her on the street.

I might be wrong though.

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks for replying Luis angel,

For a specific reason, I need to use: "rush", "mad","hope" and "street".

Nevertheless , thanks a lot for helping me! . Your sentence sounds good to me except for the preposition "on" with "street", you said: "....go see her on the street" , and I think I have to use either "in" or "at" , but I´m not so certain about this.

I appreciate your help luisangel91!

You're welcome, loureed4. I really can't think of another sentence using the words given. You should post this in the "English only" forum and give your example, so that native speakers can help you better.

loureed4

Spanish
    Again thanks luisangel , I may do what you suggest if I don´t receive any other reply.

Thanks for your time!

P.S: I think your English is great.

loureed4

Spanish
    Hi again,

I´d like to move this question as you suggest, but I don´t know if that´s against the rules. I hope not. Just in case, I wanted to say it here that I´m going to move it. Can I ? Am I allow to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Wandering JJ

British English
    Hi there!,

I´m drawing up a text on my own, and I don´t really know whether or not this is correct:

"He rushed with the mad hope to see her again at the street"

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Here's a BrE response.
    I would use 'in the street'
    Your use of the phrase 'mad hope' is excellent.
    I would use 'of hoping' rather than 'to see' - which is Spanish. He rushed with the mad hope of seeing her again in the street.

If, however, you are required to use the words exactly as you have written them: "rush", "mad","hope" and "street", I suggest something like: Every day after work, I rush like mad in the hope of seeing her in the street.

loureed4

Spanish
    Hi Wandreing JJ,

Thanks for your reply.

"He rushed with the mad hope of seeing her again in the street" ....looks good to me but in the other example you use "in" instead of "with" before "hope" , like this: "I rush like mad in the hope of seeing her in the street" vs "I rushed with the mad hope of seeing her again in the street".

Maybe both are right?

Thanks indeed for your time Wandering JJ!

Wandering JJ

British English
    ¡Buena observación!

Although the use if 'with' sounds OK, I think the more normal is with 'in'. Where I used 'with' I was concentrating on the 'of seeing' part of your sentence; where I used 'in', I was thinking in English and not translating from Spanish!

I've just checked a couple of Esp-Ing dictionaries and they translate phrases like 'he did it in the hope of...' as 'lo hizo con la esperanza de...'

Final recommendation: use in the hope of in both examples.

Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify the usage, Loureed.

loureed4

Spanish
    You´re more than welcome Wandering JJ, you, (along with other generous people here), are the one I have to thank to!

So, it´s "in the hope" ....oh my, prepositions for me are crazy sometimes. Fortunately, the more I read books, the more examples I get to clarify myself, that´s the good thing about reading a lot in English.

Again: Many thanks!

Wandering JJ

British English
    You're right: prepositions are the most unpredictable parts to translate. I would probably have written in Spanish: lo hizo en la experanza de... en lugar de: lo hizo con la experanza de...

Glad to have helped.

Hi again,

I´d like to move this question as you suggest, but I don´t know if that´s against the rules. I hope not. Just in case, I wanted to say it here that I´m going to move it. Can I ? Am I allow to do that?

Thanks in advance!
    Sorry for answering late and bumping on this thread again, although it is good you already found what you were looking for. Yes, you can move one thread to another forum, you just have to let the moderators know about it.

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks both Wandering JJ and luisangel91 , you both have been of a great help, as usual in these forums!

I really appreciate it!

< Previous | Next >