with the relationship between education and social inequality

< Previous | Next >

tamermamer

Türkçe
Hello,

The following is a sentence from HOLBORN Contemporary Sociology handbook. Can you help me understand especially the last part of the sentence? I would appreciate if anyone could rewrite it. Thanks a lot.

Order can be brought into this diversity of issues and areas by suggesting that the sociology of education has a central focus and core set of concerns – with the relationship between education and social inequality.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, tamermamer. That sentence is not very clear, but I suppose that the phrase in bold means that the sociology of education is concerned with social inequality that results from disparities in the amount of education that people have.

It is a pretty common belief that people who have less education are more likely to be treated unfairly than people who are well educated. Many longitudinal studies suggest that well-educated people earn more money and enjoy higher status among their peers, etc. than poorly educated people do.

Last edited:

lentulax

UK English
    - with the relationship between education and social inequality.
    I would appreciate if anyone could rewrite it.
    '- namely, those [central focus and core set of concerns] which have to do with the relationship between education and social inequality.'

I'm afraid the original sentence is very awkard (incorrect) , so it's understandable that you're rather puzzled by it.

< Previous | Next >