with which it has abandoned thought of itself

kcip

Chinese
Hello!
I have difficulty in understanding the bold part in the following paragraph:

Stationed at the European University Institute in Florence at the turn of the century, he published in 2000 what remains in many ways the most remarkable single reflection on the EU to date, How to Democratize the European Union ... and Why Bother? Typically, although a shorter early draft exists in Italian, this arresting work has never been translated into any other language of the Union, testimony enough to the provincial indifference with which it has abandoned thought of itself.
(source: Perry Anderson, The New Old World)​

It seems hard to determine what the pronouns refer to... Your opinion will be of great help for me.

• owlman5

English-US
    I understand "it" to refer to the European Union, kcip. Anderson is telling you that the failure to translate this book is a sign of the EU's "provincial indifference", which causes it to avoid thinking about itself. (abandon thought of itself).

kcip

Chinese
    I understand "it" to refer to the European Union, kcip. Anderson is telling you that the failure to translate this book is a sign of the EU's "provincial indifference", which causes it to avoid thinking about itself. (abandon thought of itself).
    It sounds very reasonable. Thank you very much! :p

< Previous | Next >