With winds above 155 mph

Hwacha

Korean
> Hurricanes are classified according to wind velocity, the strongest, with winds above 155 mph, being Category 5.

I assume 'with' there is prunable. what is the role of 'with' there?

Thank you in advance.

• sdgraham

USA English
    If by "prunable" (really strange in my experience) you mean it can be eliminated, the answer is NO.

"With" is a preposition showing inclusion, meaning that category 5 hurricanes have winds in excess of 155 mph.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The sentence has a parenthetical clause in it. That clause can be put between commas, between dashes or between parentheses (braces in BE). It can also be removed without changing the grammar of the sentence.

The clause is "with winds above 155 mph". It adds information about the noun before it ("the strongest").

Here is the sentence, first with the clause in parentheses, then with it removed:

Hurricanes are classified according to wind velocity, the strongest (with winds above 155 mph) being Category 5.

Hurricanes are classified according to wind velocity, the strongest being Category 5.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    (braces in BE)
    We say brackets (or, if necessary, round brackets). These are square brackets: [ ]. These are curly brackets: { }. These are angle brackets: < >.

I agree that the bit between the brackets is parenthetical (as explained by doji).

< Previous | Next >