...with your company?

Chinese, Taiwan
Hi,

I am reading a book about resume samples, and find a few sentences with "with" that confuse me.

1. Rita Marks, an editorial assistant with your company, told me of your plans to expand your accounting department.

2. I have the education, experience, potential, and enthusiasm to be successful with your firm.

My question is: Why use "with" in these two sentences, rather than use "in"?

Many Thanks!

Jiung

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
1. Rita Marks, an editorial assistant with your company, told me of your plans to expand your accounting department.

2. I have the education, experience, potential, and enthusiasm to be successful with your firm.
In 1, 'with your company' means a person employed by your company. The use of with is idiomatic. That's a terrible explanation, but it is the way the language has evolved.
Consider that company refers to a group of people, as well as a legal entity. One person, the editorial assistant, works with, at the side of, in the companionship of other members of the firm. In would imply a physical location within a physical or legal structure, rather than the association with people implied by with.

The explanation of 2 is essentially the same. "Your firm" implies a group of people, more so than a legal entity.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
Thank you for making me think! Often our words choices are made more by habit than by conscious choice. It's useful to try to figure out why we do what we do.