withdraw or withdraw to?

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt was born Saturday evening according to People in Namibia where her famous parents had withdrawn for the birth, aided by considerable protection from the African country's government.

Hey.

I've come up with my own thought that If, by any chance, it would be more sensible and grammarically correct to say "where her famous parents had withdrawn "to" for the birth instead of just "where her famous parents had withdrawn for the birth".

Just like we tend to say "We withdrew to the garden for a private talk."

What do you think about this?
Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This is another strange sentence.
    What have the famous parents withdrawn from?
    I expect from as the preposition associated with withdraw. Where they withdrew to would be optional.

shiness

Korean, South Korea.
    Where they had withdrawn from was not included in the news article.
    But I can assume that they retreated from the U.S soil as is their home.

Considering that, wouldn't it be proper to say "withdraw to" as I suggested? instead of just withdraw itself.

Thanks.

chesty

english
    Hello shiness!

I agree with your analysis. The addition of 'to' "would be more sensible and grammatically correct"; but only slightly.

The sentence you are trying to improve upon is written in quite poor English to begin with (in my opinion).

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    This is another strange sentence.
    What have the famous parents withdrawn from?
    I expect from as the preposition associated with withdraw. Where they withdrew to would be optional.

Wasn't a "(with)drawing room" the place to which the ladies withdrew after dinner then the gentlemen would light up their cigars (and perform certain toilet functions) in the diningroom?
    There was a definite sense of to in the action of withdrawing, although in the purpose of the withdrawing there was a definite sense of from.