withered arm

abcdtranslation

Romanian- Romania
Hello,
I've been trying to think of an appropriate correspondent in Romanian for the term 'withered' but unfortunately I don't really know how to explain/translate it. Context:

The third was his origin: Ebenezer was born American, though he'd not seen his birthplace since earliest childhood. His father, Andrew Cooke 2nd, of the Parish of St. Giles in the Fields, County of Middlesex - a red-faced, white-chopped, stout-winded old lecher with flinty eye and withered arm...

Any ideas?:confused:

• metaphrastes

Portuguese - Portugal
    It is not that hard. The expression "withered hand" appears a few times in King James English Bible version. It is always rendered in Romanian as "mâna uscată". Since "arm" in Romanian is a masculine word, you would have "braţ uscat" or "braţul uscat". I cannot say if this would be the usage in daily, informal conversation, but it is the usage in literary language.

Now just a question: is this character Ebenezer Scrooge, the avaricious old man from that tale about the spirit of Christmas (if memory helps me, by Charles Dickens)? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

abcdtranslation

Romanian- Romania
    Thank you for your suggestion. I couldn't find an equivalent in Romanian to describe it but I guess yours will do. And no, it is actually The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth. :)