withheld honor does dishonor to those...

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
Proper pride is a boon, a stroke of moral genius against those who would withhold its virtue in the false belief that they(-> pride???) might increase their own. But every withheld honor does dishonor to those who hold back what others deserve, even if the transaction takes place within one's soul. Self-regard is a key to both our psychic strength and moral health. For me, writing, and the reading upon which it rests, is a way to tell critical stories that strengthen self-regard--yes, I'm not too proud to admit, my own, and hopefully, that of others(->what is my own, here?)--while puncturing the vanity of power.(->What does puncture the vanity of power? Writing, or critical stories?)

Could you please explain or paraphrase the three bold parts for me?

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Proper pride is a boon, a stroke of moral genius against those who would withhold its virtue in the false belief that they (the "those" mentioned 12 words back) might increase their own (pride). But every withheld honor does dishonor to those who hold back what others deserve, even if the transaction takes place within one's soul. Self-regard is a key to both our psychic strength and moral health. For me, writing, and the reading upon which it rests, is a way to tell critical stories that strengthen self-regard--yes, I'm not too proud to admit, my own, and hopefully, that of others (->what is my own, here? writing) -- while puncturing the vanity of power.(->What punctures the vanity of power? Writing :tick:.
    (The "critical stories" are what this author considers to be the purpose of writing, so they are included in the "writing" which I ticked.)

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
    Maxiogee, thank you so much!
    But would you paraphrase "yes, I'm not too proud to admit, my own, and hopefully, that of others" for me this time? This part makes me still confused.

BTW...
    "They think that they might increase their pride so they withhold the virtue of pride..."
    Why does this paraphrased sentence sound a little bit strange to me??? :(

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    chobalsim said:
    Maxiogee, thank you so much!
    But would you paraphrase "yes, I'm not too proud to admit, my own, and hopefully, that of others" for me this time? This part makes me still confused.
    That's a dreadful piece of writing.
    The author is saying "I'm not to proud" but actually is blowing his own trumpet, and adding his name to that of the "others" who would usually be credited alone.
    I would paraphrase it (and re-order the praise).....

For me, writing, and the reading upon which it rests, is a way to tell critical stories that strengthen self-regard -- many authors do, and I'd like to include my own works with theirs -- while puncturing the vanity of power.

"They think that they might increase their pride so they withhold the virtue of pride..."
    Why does this paraphrased sentence sound a little bit strange to me??? :(
    I've no idea what this means, but he is not withholding any pride - he's flaunting his! :D

chobalsim

Korea, Korean
    Thanks again, maxiogee.
    But I still have a question. (Don't be upset with my poor understanding. :eek: )
    On the surface, the author doesn't admit that his writing also tells that critical story, does he?

< Previous | Next >