'within' and 'in'

< Previous | Next >

CrazyGeek

Vietnamese
I think the meaning of 'in' is more general than 'within' but can anyone here show me the differences between them when using with the verb 'contain' please?, the two concrete phrases are 'contained within' and 'contained in'
Thanks a lot

• valdemar

Español mexicano
    Hi, I'm also triying to understand this word, but it is a little confusing. It seems to me that its meaning is very close to say that "it, whatever it is, is in any part of something". But "in" have the same meaninig, accordingly. So it would be of much help if you could please give some explanation of the the sense in the next sentences:

1.- I will marry her within/in half an hour
    2.- You can always find this symbol within/in that kind fo expresions
    3.- Withing/in six years of joining the company he was managing director

Now, is it possible to use "within" in the next context?:

- when do you think this class is going to finish?
    - I don't know, within an hour,..., maybe

Thank you.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    1.- I will marry her within half an hour - (i) I will marry her in less than half and hour (ii) I will be married to her in less than half an hour. i.e. it will take no longer than half an hour.

1a.- I will marry her in half an hour- It is 10am now, at 10:30 the marriage ceremony will start.

2.- You can always find this symbol within that kind of expression. - the pi is always found within the 2r2 expression. Here is an example 2πr2

2a.- You can always find this symbol in that kind of expression. When calculating volumes and areas of spherical, curved and round objects, pi is always found in them.

This is less clear distinction but within has the sense of "bounded by", whereas in has the sense of "somewhere inside"

3.- Within six years of joining the company he was managing director - he became managing director in less than six years. i.e. it took him no longer than six years
    3a.- In six years of joining the company he was managing director - He joined in January 2000 and by January 2006 he was managing director.

< Previous | Next >