within/until

< Previous | Next >

fatfat116

Chinese
Hello everyone. Would someone tell me why the answer is 'within' in the multiple choice below?

She looks after abandoned dogs until she finds them homes. Those she leaves behind at the kennels are destroyed ____ four days.

1. within 2. until

I understand that the dogs will die after 4 days, but not in the 4 days. However multiple choice only have within and until. I don't understand why the answer is within. Would someone tell me? Thank you very much.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    "Within" means any time between now and four days from now. They don't have to wait for four days but they definitely won't wait any more than four days.

Until is not grammatically correct in that sentence. "Until four days", standing by itself, is meaningless in English. It could be a meaningful part of a longer sentence.

fatfat116

Chinese
    "Within" means any time between now and four days from now. They don't have to wait for four days but they definitely won't wait any more than four days.

Until is not grammatically correct in that sentence. "Until four days", standing by itself, is meaningless in English. It could be a meaningful part of a longer sentence.
    but I think the dog will die 'after' 4 days, not within though there are no 'after' to choose.

< Previous | Next >