without a side to him

CalyR

French
Bonsoir,

J'éprouve des difficultés à comprendre la phrase en gras et j'espère que l'un de vous pourra m'aider :

"… I found Paul to be without a side to him. He seemed to be remembering the evidence that he provided to me. He seemed to be giving me a straightforward and honest account of that which he now felt".

Contexte : c'est un juge qui décrit l'audition d'une personne.

Est-ce que "without a side to" est synonyme de "no side to" ?

Merci par avance

• Jim in Phila

American English
    "Side" used here sounds like arrogance. There's no "putting on airs." As the judge says, he is straightforward, honest.

misterk

English-American
    To be honest, my first thought is that a word is missing from the text, just before "side."
    E.g., "...without a devious / deceitful / dishonest side to him."

(If I heard that someone "didn't have a side to him," I wouldn't know what that meant.)

Jim in Phila

American English
    To be honest, my first thought is that a word is missing from the text, just before "side."
    E.g., "...without a devious / deceitful / dishonest side to him."

(If I heard that someone "didn't have a side to him," I wouldn't know what that meant.)

My American Heritage College Dictionary labels side "chiefly British" = Affected superiority; arrogance.

CalyR

French
    Thank you very much ! It is british English, I should have mentioned it first. I think "sans prétention" may be right in this context.