without her blindness

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
- She is so popular in this neighbourhood.
- Right. Without her blindness, we still love her.
Please tell me if "without the blindness" means "Although she is blind"?
Thanks.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi Mimi,

I think we need a bit more context to answer. Blindness can be metaphorical blindness - inability to perceive changes which are obvious to others. Here we seem to be concerned with real blindness, but whether Setwale Charm is right, or your suggestion is correct, I find hard to tell.

Without her blindness, we still love her is a strange way of saying although she is blind we love her or we love her despite her blindness. The still also raises questions, with its suggestion that we'd expect the blindness to cause us not to love her - we are usually well-disposed towards blind people.

The we still love her can mean either we continue to love her or we love her nevertheless. I think Setwale Charm has taken it to mean the first of these, and that has led to the view that without her blindness means she is no longer blind. That seems to me a very understandable conclusion to draw from the words: we'd need more context to know if it was correct.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Thomas Tompion, Setwale Charm, for helping me understand the meaning of the sentence.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Setwale Charm.
    Because I don't have context, I had to guess the meaning and I had trouble with "without" too. Your idea and Thomas Tompion's explanation made me reread the sentence and I understand that you and Thomas are right.

< Previous | Next >