Without struggle there is no progress

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by alpombrio, Nov 11, 2011.

1. alpombrio New Member

english
    I am getting a vertical tattoo along my spine of chinese symbols.
    The quote I am looking to translate is
    "without struggle there is no progress" or "without struggle no progress"

If you are 100% positive on how to translate these PLEASEEE help me! Please, also, if these will not make sense or something is wrong let me know because I don't want to mess it up!
    Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  2. laincn2001 New Member

Chinese
    The sentence is “成功源于勤奋”, not perfectly fit it.Maybe someone can find a better proverb for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2011
  3. softserve Member

Taiwan/Viet Nam/Cambodia
    Mandarin (Traditional Chinese)
    I recall I once saw a lady at HEB in the dairy product section having "爽" tattooed on her ankle. This gave me a good belly laugh. True story! I wish I had the courage to walk up to her and tell her how awkward it is to have that word on her body.

Yeah I totally agree with alpombrio on that you definitely don't want to screw this up. :)

If you really want Chinese characters for your tattoos, then I would suggest you make it as simple and concise as possible. 2 to 4 characters should be suffice. Also be advised that there are traditional and simplified characters. So it is best you check online first to see how differently each character is written and then make the pick. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

There are many ways to translate this.
    My try: 奮鬥才會勝利 - "Only struggles leads to victory."

Please note:
    1. I think the word "progress" 進步 is a little bit too "soft" for a tattoo. So I changed it with "victory".
    2. I think the message is a little bit too "clear" and "direct", while Chinese often prefer more "abstract" words and ideologies for a tattoo, which are somehow ambiguous, ancient, but could make you to "think about it". That's why we prefer single characters, idioms, metaphors and so on...
    But that depends on people. You can just use it if you really like it.

5. wilt2011 Member

Wuhan, China
    Chinese
    Some idiomatic sayings:
    有志者,事竟成 (this literally means he who has an ideal succeeds)
    世上无难事,只要肯登攀。
    不进则退
    勤能补拙

but seems some are not completely equivalent in meaning to what you put.