Witnessing

Sazzi

English- British
Hello all, in English this word and similar words can be used in a religious context, e.g. 'witnessing the truth' 'to be a good witness' 'to present a witness of...' etc. Anyone know the best way to say it in Italian? Thought about using 'testimone' but this seems to be mostly used in the legal field...
Grazie in anticipo!

• Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Hi Sazzi, please provide the full sentence in which the word "witnessing" is used.

Sazzi

English- British
    Hi Sazzi, please provide the full sentence in which the word "witnessing" is used.

Hi Tegs,
    I've previously been upbraided for including the context but here's the sentence in any case:

'Relative to this teaching, we find that a woman is obligated to have her head covered for worship and while witnessing.'

ginestre

You also need to explain what she is witnessing - we do need context.;)

I understand this context as it stands: I have relatives who are caught up in bizarre evangelical cults :)() and who incessantly use the word in just this way, to mean 'publicly professing their belief system by pestering others'. (Sorry- I feel strongly on the subject, ahimé.)

I'd use the word evangelizzazione:

In questo ministero, troviamo le donne obbligate all'utilizzo del copricapo durante sia le funzioni che l'evangelizzazione.

Sazzi

English- British
    Hi london calling, the context is her witnessing her faith/religion. The meaning is pretty intrinsic in English though. If I say 'i'm going out witnessing' it generally means I'm going out to speak to people about what I believe, or standing up in a street handing out literature. It's the idea of being a witness of something.

It is a precise sentence which is why I was trying to find out if there was a generic word or phrase..:)

Pat (√2)

Italiano
    Ciao :)
    Si dice testimoniare la propria fede o fare testimonianza di fede o essere testimoni di fede. Ciò non significa necessariamente andare in giro a fare proseliti, però.

london calling

UK English
    Hi london calling, the context is her witnessing her faith/religion. The meaning is pretty intrinsic in English though. If I say 'i'm going out witnessing' it generally means I'm going out to speak to people about what I believe, or standing up in a street handing out literature. It's the idea of being a witness of something.
    I see.:) They say 'fare proselitismo' , but that is more talking to people in the hope that they will come round to your ideas and beliefs, be they religious or political (I'm thinking 'Jehovah's Witnesses') : I don't know if that's really what you mean, however..:)

Whoops, eccola! Ciao, Piattolona mia!:D

Sazzi

English- British
    Thank you, I didn't think of using that word :)
    P.s. people who witness don't usually pester though... They tend to be ignored. A lot. ;-)