...won more and more medals. (Tense)

< Previous | Next >

erroranalysis

German
One of my students wrote:

Mary taught me to ride her horse. It took us more than six hours and then I could ride. The next day I won the tournament. Mary and I were so happy. At home I won more and more medals. Mary and I were best friends. (At home: She learned how to ride abroad. After the tournament she went back to her home country.)

Ignore the fact that it is highly unlikely to become a perfect rider after several hours of practice only. Children tend to make up such things. And sometimes you have the same concept in films where someone learns perfect karate within one month only.

I feel tempted to use the past progressive (was winning) because of more and more. Which tense would you prefer?

• owlman5

English-US
    "Was winning" certainly looks normal in front of "more and more medals." I think the progressive tenses are likely with that phrase, but I don't think that it is mandatory to use a progressive tense in that situation. That is, there's nothing wrong with using "I won more and more medals."

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    I prefer the preterite as it is in context. If you changed it to the progressive, I would be expecting some other idea to be presented, i.e. till I fell and broke my leg. As it is just a litany a past facts, the simple past expresses that best.

< Previous | Next >