won't / don't diphthong [Australian pronunciation]

< Previous | Next >

perpend

Banned
American English
You know how there's this diphthong in Australian English with "don't" where it sounds like "dowen't", sort of. It's hard to describe.

Does this exist for "won't" in Australian English as well?

Come to think of it, maybe this exists outside of Australian English too. (Just said it in my head a couple times.)

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    It depends on the kind of Australian accent you are talking about - the 'cultivated' AusE accent is close to RP. Otherwise, it is something like /əʉ/ - what is distinctive for me is the close central vowel at the end, sort of in between oo and ee​.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I was thinking that in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest it exists too.

Maybe I need to be more specific.

When you hear the "don't" it almost sounds like two syllables, but I likened it to a diphthong, which may not be technically correct.

In other words, the normal "don't" is a one syllable straightforward pronunciation for me.

Nipnip

Español
    In other words, the normal "don't" is a one syllable straightforward pronunciation for me.
    I know what you mean, the British, which I believe to be RP also have some sort of "dount", but it's one syllable to me. The Aussies and NI seem to lengthen the vowel, which makes the sound to my ear like almost two syllables.

South African English is also atypical to me. I would like to know if they have this pronunciation there.

< Previous | Next >