woo-woo practitioner?

ultraviolet69

Turkey, Turkish
Dr Crick was also a longtime financial supporter of the Skeptics Society, and someone who brought respectability back to the study of Consciousness (after a long hiatus during which it was dominated by woo-woo practitioners and other pseudoscientists).

What is a woo-woo practitioner?

• Oeco

English - US
    I would take it to mean a "quack" or "an untrained person who pretends to be a physician and who dispenses medical advice" The "woo-woo" part seems to evoke a kind of motion of the index finger around the ear indicating that someone is crazy. It's not an adjective I'm familiar with, but this is my conjecture from the context.

Alisterio

UK English
    I would take it to mean a "quack" or "an untrained person who pretends to be a physician and who dispenses medical advice" The "woo-woo" part seems to evoke a kind of motion of the index finger around the ear indicating that someone is crazy. It's not an adjective I'm familiar with, but this is my conjecture from the context.

Sounds like a fair guess to me. I'm not familiar with the term either, but I dug up a couple of websites that would seem to back this up (one is a discussion forum on an article entitled "Woman wins £800,000 from woo-woo practitioner for brain damage" where a nutritionist is referred to as a "shameless quack").

Loob

English UK
    Here's a definition of "woo-woo" which seems to fit:
    Woo-woo (or just plain woo) refers to ideas considered irrational or based on extremely flimsy evidence or that appeal to mysterious occult forces or powers.​