woodbine

MVM1912

España-español
Hola, feliz domingo (no muy divertido para todos :))

¿Creéis que "woodbine" puede traducirse en un contexto general, describiendo el paisaje de un paseo, como "parra virgen".

Muchas gracias

• Txiri

USA English
    Wikipedia says:

Woodbine may refer to:
    Following the link to the plant, it is given as 'honeysuckle." If you are not familiar with it, it is an enredadera with a sweet smelling (whitish) flower.

Unless parra distinctively refers to 'honeysuckle' or 'woodbine' (which botanical term I was unfamiliar with), then my answer would be, no.

Lis48

English - British
    Woodbine/woodbind is a climbing weed that twists its way up other plants.
    It´s difficult to get rid of and strangles other plants.
    ¿¿la viña loca??

Last edited:

Lis48

English - British
    In the UK woodbine is another word for bindweed. Some people call it columbine.
    Your pics are of honeysuckle and look nothing like woodbine which is a weed and has white/pinkish trumpet flowers.
    Madreselva is the name for honeysuckle which is a lovely plant but it is certainly NOT the same as woodbine in the UK!
    I do know my plants well, at least in the UK, after 50 years of gardening. :)
    http://www.wildyorkshire.co.uk/naturediary/docs/2003/6/24b.html
    http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/calystegia-silvatica?referrer=%2Fplant%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DSt

Last edited:

Lis48

English - British
    I agree. Lots of sites seem to give woodbine and honeysuckle as the same thing and bindweed being different.
    I remember an old humerous song by Flanders and Swann:

The fragrant honeysuckle spirals clockwise to the sun,
    And many other creepers do the same.
    But some climb anti-clockwise, the bindweed does, for one...

So I guess you have to look at which way the plant spirals...clockwise or anti-clockwise! Then you have your answer. :)

< Previous | Next >